INFO FOR PATIENTS

:: Limitations, outcomes and risks.

:: Potential undesired effects of the treatment (multiple pregnancy).

:: Troubles and time for the treatment.

:: Cost of suggested treatment and costs of any alternative treatment.

:: The engagement of communicating treatment outcomes to Dr. Scotto.

:: Advantages and disadvantages of a long treatment after a certain number of failed attempts.

:: Chances of succes.

F.A.Q.

Does a correlation between infertility treatment and multiple pregnancy exist?

Multiple pregnancies for couples undergoing an infertility treatment are more frequent than for entire population. 80% of pregnancies caused by stimulating ovulation conclude in a single birth while remaining 20% lead to multiple births.
Treatments are carefully adapted to the physical reactions of patients to reduce the risks of multiple pregnancy. After a FIV treatment one pregnancy out of four is multiple (twin birth are 20%, 3-4% are triple twin birth). In FIV specialised infertility centers, now doctors choose to transfer one up to three embryos so that probability of a multiple pregnancy mostly decreases.

I would like to know which are the causes of the infertility.

Usually one third of infertility causes depend on male factors and one third on female problems. For the remaining part, infertility is due to a combination of male and female causes while for 20% of couples, infertility is due to unknown problems. For males, the most frequent infertility causes are azoospermia (absence of spermatozoa in the ejaculate) and oligospermia (insufficient production of spermatozoa). Sometimes the spermatozoa are misshapen or die before meeting the ovum. Rarely male infertility is caused by genetic disease as cystic fibrosis or by chromosome aberration. For females, infertility is often due to ovulation problems.

I would like to know how infertility is diagnosed

Generally a couple is advised going to a doctor when they have been having unprotected sex for almost a year without conceiving a child. Both partners are examined to evaluate their physical health and to identify the presence of problems causing infertility. In addition to a complete check up of both partners, couples are usually questioned about their sexual habits so that doctors can understand if there is some kind of problem in the conception of a child.
If there is no apparent cause for infertility, the couple shall have specialist examinations. Women undergo examinations as basal temperature analysis, echographic monitoring of ovulation, X-ray of Fallopian tube and uterus, laparoscopy. For men, doctors usually suggest seminal fluid analysis.

I would like to have information about fertilization in vitro

When woman’s Fallopian tube are absent or closed or when a man suffer oligospermia, in vitro fertilization gives the chance to have a biological related child to all couples who couldn’t have children few years ago. In IVF, ovules are excised from ovary and joined to spermatozoon in vitro After 40 hours, oocytes are examined to verify if they have been fertilized by spermatozoa. If fertilization succeeded, we also verify if cell division has started. Then fertilized oocytes (embryos) are transferred into the uterus.

© 2008 FERTILITY CENTER - DOTT. ANTONIO SCOTTO DI FREGA - DEVELOPING AND DESIGN qrnet